ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Difficulty of categories

Message: Re: Difficulty of categories

From: "Dr. Guenther Eichhorn" <gei at head-cfa.harvard.edu>

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 20:22:28 UTC

Message:

In message <325C26C4.518E at flash.net>, Don Peterson writes:
>Dr. Guenther Eichhorn wrote:
>>   I know several people that don't want to fly
>> Advanced because of the negative g's, so they stay in
>> Intermediate.  They would have to go back to Sportsman to avoid
>> negative g's.
>
> If you think a category is not challenging enough,
>> you can move up.
>>
>> Guenther
>

>And from Derek Sherlock

>rtsman because of outside maneuvers in intermediate.<<<
>

>As I suspected, there seems to be a stigma to flying in Sportsman.  We seem to
>view this as the kindergarten of categories, and Intermediate where you go whe
>you don't want to progress any more, but wouldn't be caught dead down in
>Sporty-class.
>
>My proposal would change all of this.  Sportsman would be where limited
>performance aircraft fly that do not want to push outside.  Quarter rolls down
>,
>unknowns, and even a few humpties should be included.  A great place to hang o
>ut
>and enjoy great grass roots competition with your clipped wing Cub, Citabria,
>long wing tee craft, or similar aircraft.
>
>Intermediate would be the next step available to limited performance aircraft,
>but where the beginning of advanced style maneuvers would be experienced.  No
>3/4 vertical rolls or 1/2 rolls with fly offs.  This category would not give a
>advantage to high horsepower aircraft, it would merely place a premium of a
>broader range of aerobatic piloting skills.  Outside maneuvers would be somewh
>at
>limited, allowing -3 to -4 g's in most aircraft.  A few rolling turns and
>inverted spins.
>
>If the only argument agtainst this is "I would hate to move back to Sportsman"
>,
>then it is probably a valid suggestion.
>
>As in my earlier post, the IAC seems to have dual missions:  to provide "grass
>roots" (recreational) aerobatic competition, and a venue for developing World
>level competitors.  This proposal would seem to meet both criterion better tha
>our current situation.
>
>Don

This proposal would eliminate the category that is now called
Sportsman and move all the difficulty levels up one category.
If you want to support grass-roots aerobatic flying, Sportsman
is the category that is the most important.  Making this
category too difficult will deter a lot of people from getting
started in the sport.  There is no stigma in Sportsman, on the
contrary, I believe it is the most important category for
getting to know the sport.  Currently it is just at the right
difficulty level, after snap rolls have been eliminated from
that category.

And Intermediate is just fine as it is without negative g
maneuvers.  I don't think there is any reason to change these
categories.

Guenther