ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Difficulty of categories

Message: Re: Difficulty of categories

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:18:47 UTC

Message:

  AcroDrew at aol.com wrote:

> We have a good discussion going.  If anyone wants to change criteria for the
> known, free or unknown programs, I suggest that he or she make a proposal to
> the rules committee chair, Howard Stock.

> That is the operative word, "comfortable."
>
> Advanced is a handful when a person first makes the jump.  My experience both
> as a competitor and as an instructor is that once a person gets used to
> negative g's, the skills to complete maneuvers develops rapidly.  Keep the
> pushes up and pushes out in the Advanced and Unlimited categories.
>
> Unlimited is unlimited.
>
> If we want to increase the difficulty of Intermediate, let's do it with more
> combination rolls such as an Immelman with a roll at the bottom and follow
> the =-roll at the top with an opposite direction four point roll.  Difficult
> - yes for some.  Uncomfortable - no.
>
> Drew Lundgren

Drew,

Nyah nyah nyah.  You're no help.

BTW, I have made a proposal to HS, and my original post here was a follow
up to see if there was any support.  There has been some, but as usual,
the "aginners" tend to be more quickly vocal.

Included in my proposal was that Sportsman could have an unknown at the
option of the organizers.  Let's open things up a bit.  Why not have some
contests with just the known for sportsmen (as we do now), and perhaps
later in the season, add the unknown.  As you noted, one pretty quickly
gets up to speed with Sportsman, which means that they have to move up or
be bored.

Intermediate really is no harder than sportsman for anyone with more than
a year or so of experience.  And that is my point.  These categories are
structured only as waypoints on to the advanced categories.  Intermediate
does not provide challenges with the quarter down rolls and turns that
you mention.  So, again, move up or be bored.

But there is the flaw.  Anyone with a modest performance aircraft is
destined under this system to be bored, when it need not be.  Sportsman
can be a fine learning ground, and Intermediate can be a more consistent
challenge to a more seasoned competitor (but with a vertically and
roll-rate challenged aircraft).

BTW, I also proposed that basic be stiffened a bit, somewhat in line with
the UK, including a half cuban and a hammer head.  I realize this
approach thoroughly turns over the apple cart, but why not?  It may mean
that someone will need a bit more training before they enter a sanctioned
contest, but once there, the fun will be available to everyone, not just
those with higher performing aircraft.

Obviously this is self serving, but then you can trust motives that you
can see, yes?

Also, I actually think it is a better way to go, and should produce a
higher caliber of pilot over the long haul.

Don