ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Difficulty of categories

Message: Difficulty of categories

From: Weengs at aol.com

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 01:30:19 UTC

Message:

  I'm probably too new at this to have a good view of the "big picture", but I
thought we wanted to be more inclusive, to make it easier for people to
compete, not harder. And I thought we wanted to be safe, above all. I think
changing the Sportsman category would be detrimental to both goals.

Not all of us are fortunate enough to have our own akro mounts. Many of us
only get to practice once a week, and that's subject to weather and plane
availability. The northeast climate further restricts me to a short season.
And yet some of us would like to compete at a level more challenging than
Basic (with or without a h-head).

The sportsman sequence already contains plenty of challenges for me -  from
staying in the box to horsing a Decathlon through the figures. I'd hate to
see it changed to become too much of a stretch for those of us who will, for
the foreseeable future at least, be "ordinary" weekend hackers. Add an
unknown? Maybe okay for some; for others, a disaster. It would probably mean
me not competing next season because I just don't feel ready or safe to deal
with a sequence I haven't practiced. Another known? Sure.

I'm not on the road to the Nationals. Just this middle-aged woman who
discovered two years ago that she likes akro.  Isn't there room for me here
too?

Pat Holliday