ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Difficulty of categories

Message: Re: Difficulty of categories

From: Stamper123 at aol.com

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 14:34:39 UTC

>Another consideration when proposing changing the catagories and
>maneuvers is to look at the aircraft involved in a particular catagory and
>study the damage history of related maneuvers.  Specifically, Citabrias,
>Decathlons in the Sportsman Catagory.

Eric -

\what do you mean by "damage history" of related maneuvers?  If you are
suggesting that these aircraft are subject to unusual damage from performing
maneuvers within their permitted operating limits, then it seems to me that
it is the owner's choice to continue, and not the IAC's position to ease up
for the sake of these aircraft.  Remember, the IAC has decided it is not in
the airworthines certification business, tempting though it is to have an
opinion on this subject.  If we open the door to category design by first
allowing them to be influenced by the financial impact on individual and
specific aircraft, aren't we directly contradicting the spirit of the red
book which says that the relative performance of individual aircraft will not
be taken into account?

I have been told that a Decathlon is very expensive to operate in competition
acro.  Sorry about that.  So is our old Stampe.  I could buy a Pitts, and
have an easier and cheaper time of it, but then, I would miss something which
is a great deal of fun for me. My call, and clearly, I am not asking that the
categories be made easier so that our olde Stampe will be cheaper to operate.

Clearly, the turnover leads to a constant erosion of the shared knowledge of
history among members.  Isn't this medium great for keeping some of it alive!
 It does appear that the evolution of our sport and club has suffered/enjoyed
many pendulum swings as different ruling factions and influential members
exerted their influence.  The more things change, the more they stay the
same, I suppose.

I am forced to wonder if the turnover is unavoidable, due to physical limits,
financial limits, or the short attention span of the typical acro pilot; or
if we might improve and expand our sport by changing its emphasis and appeal.
 I don't have the answers, and club organizations are damned hard to change.

Don