ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Goulians new volume.

Message: Re: Goulians new volume.

From: Danrihn at aol.com

Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 00:34:11 UTC

Message:

  I have looked throught Mike's new book.
I must coment on the Chapter regarding Spins-
The description of Accelerated Spins is very differnt than what I personally
was taught by Gene Beggs and what is described in Gene's articles in past
Sport Aerobatics.
Gene taught 3 attitudes of spins for both upright and flat -
1) Normal 2) Flat and 3) Accelerated
Each of these spins could be flown with or without power.
The accelerated spin Gene taught was a spin with the nose lower than the
normal spin attitude this was accomplished through the use of elevator.  For
an upright spin the stick is pushed all the way forward to the stop, for an
inverted spin the stick is pulled all the aft to the stop.  In each case the
spin will accelarate very rapidly, recovery can only be made with full
opposite rudder and the nose returning up to the normal spin attitude.  this
is best accomplished by using the Power off, hands off Opposite rudder (the
HARD TO PUSH PEDAL).
I have found that the 3 types of spins Gene taught were the easiest to
understand as well as teach.
Mike's new book doesn't go into any details of a nose down or what Gene
called an accelerated spin.  This is also where the term accelerated the snap
comes from,  it is the same principle.

Dan Rihn