ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Goulians new volume.

Message: Re: Goulians new volume.

From: Danrihn at aol.com

Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:26:38 UTC

Message:

  Dear Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I did enjoy your book, I don't mean to knock it.  I
know what it means to take on a project of this magnatude, then have every
IACer come along and give you his/her two cents.  Having said that I still
don't think we are on the same line regarding spins.

Your explanation misses my point.
First, by teaching three distinct attitudes of a spin and calling them three
different names is less confusing to students (and me).
Second, You book does not even cover what we have been calling accelerated
spins for many years.  Certainly these are advanced spins and should be
taught.
Third, Your tennis ball explanation is fine.  What I was taught by Gene Beggs
and have taught since then is this- as the nose is lowered (putting the
longitudinal axis closer to the spin axis) closer to spin axis of rotation is
more similar to an ice skater doing a spin and pulling their arms in.  In
both cases the mass of the spinning object is brought closer to the axis of
rotation and the rotation speed increases.

Have you talked to Gene Beggs about his spin techniques and his mehtods of
spin training?  I found his course to be the best I have ever taken, seen or
read about.  You can get a pretty good understanding of his course by reading
his articles in past Sport Aerobatics.  I don't think Gene is still teaching
but I think you can still get re-prints of his articles.

You've done a great job with both your books, keep up the good work
Take Care, Fly Safe
Dan Rihn