ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Unlimited Judges, etc

Message: Unlimited Judges, etc

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 04:41:35 UTC

Message:

  The BOD minutes plus these posts got me thinking.  I have no stake in
this directly (yet?) but am wondering about the whole team selection
process.

As I recall the gist of the minutes, it was made clear that the ASF was
responsible for picking ("inviting"?) the team members.  I also seem to
recall that somewhere in the dark past that the NAA delegated that
authority to the IAC.  The ASF was created to provide funding and
organization, but was not necessarily responsible for picking the team.

If this is (was?) so, then shouldn't the method of team selection and
judges selection still reside with the IAC and therefore its members
until and unless there is some sort of general vote handing it over to
the ASF?  Also, if there is to be a change, as is contained in the
current minutes, shouldn't it be treated like any other rule change and
be a "proposed" rule for the year after next, giving time for comment and
board ratification after the comment period?

The way the new rules strike me, you have to do very well at the two
contests, unless you have a convincing note from your mother, or a really
big reputation, in which case the ASF can pick you.

Meanwhile, it sounds as though the unlimited judges will be selected by
some sort of popular vote among "known" unlimited competitors.  Could
this mean that a well organized clique of unlimited pilots could vote
together for a group of judges that was well-briefed on who the preferred
team members were to be?

I rather dislike that these thoughts even occur to me, as I would rather
give any new idea a chance to prove itself before lobbing negative
thoughts toward it.  In this case, there just seems to be an awful lot of
anti-democratic methods at work.  There was something rather satisfying
about the concept that the top placers earned a place on the team,
period.

In a related sense, I believe that all national judges should be
considered equal to the task.  If we have problems with judges'
certification or recurrent training, then that should be addressed, not
the secret little means that we use to select who gets to work the line.
 We ought to treat it like our pilot's licenses.  If you are licensed,
then you get to use the airspace on an equal footing with all others.

Don Peterson
Dallas, Tx.