ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Unlimited Judges, etc

Message: RE: Unlimited Judges, etc

From: "Ronald Saglimbene" <6Sags at msn.com>

Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 13:14:15 UTC

Message:

In a perfect world, all National Judges should be equally competent. I think
most of us will agree that this isn't the case. In the absence of any real
evaluation
or recertification system for Natnl Judges, giving the Unlimited Pilots a
voice in
the selection process is better than nothing (which is what we have now,) I
agree
that this system is flawed, but it is a step in the right direction. Sure, it
opens up a new
can of worms, but it gives the people who spend a good chunk of their lives
and
thosands of dollars of their money some input into the evaluation process.
Realistically,
politics has always played a part in the decision of who judges Unlimited at
our
national contests. Sometimes, those chosen have limited judging experience, or
haven't
juged an Unlimited contest for years. Sometimes the criteria was which judge
was
the first to put their name down on the Volunteer Board! I agree with Patty
that
this is a leadership problem. As difficult as it may be to do, a meaningful
evaluation/recertification process for National Judges has to be established.

                                                                    Ron
Saglimbene