ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: 5th Annual Doc Harvey Original One Design Contest

Message: Re: 5th Annual Doc Harvey Original One Design Contest

From: brichard at accesscomm.net (Beth Richard)

Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 05:24:50 UTC

Message:

  Dr. Rihn Wrotte:
>Whenever we can get enough nearly
>identical aircraft together to compete
>it makes for a change in pace, fun
>type of contest.

  Hi Dr. Rihn... I met you at the Early Bird Contest we (Chapter 25) held
last spring in Edna, TX... I was the Tenter ;)

  Anyway... it's not a matter of having nearly identical aircraft... the
Basic category is flown in THE Cessna 150 Aerobat (N2721J) which was Doc
Harvey's and which is still at Harvey & Rihn Aviation in LaPorte, TX
("http://www.nwpros.com/~acrohead/h&rad.html").  All the Basic competitors
fly the =SAME= plane... not just the same TYPE.  We had 7 competitors who
flew 3 flights each.

  Similarly for Sportsman, all the competitors fly Harvey & Rihn Aviation's
Super Decathalon [8KCAB] (N992RS).  We had 5 competitors who flew 2 flights
each.

  It worked quite well and it sure was interesting to see some of our top
ranked Unlimited pilots going through the unfamiliar Basic and Sportsman
sequences they'd pretty much only seen from the Judging Line all season
long! :)  There were also a couple of first time competitors who had a great
time and learned a lot while they were at it.

  Enjoy!
    Beth
Beth Richard, Sec'y IAC Chapter 25.     http://www.MageNet.com/~brichard/
      Compaq         // Ex-C= Amiga Engineer      brichard at accesscomm.net