Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: FWD: RE: Judging

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: FWD: RE: Judging

Thread: FWD: RE: Judging

Follow-Up To: ACRO Email list (for List Members only)

Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 05:32:38 UTC

I have only participated in a couple of contests so I don't have as much experience as the rest of you but I'm going to toss in my two cents anyway.  

Jeff Seckendorf wrote "...toss the high and low scores, keep it simple.  Might be interesting to look back over some score sheets for old contests and re-run the scores like this to see how things would have turned out."  As a competitor and recorder I haven't noticed much of a problem with the quality of judging but, I would support this idea as one method of improving the quality of the scoring.    My only question is what happens when there are only three judges for the category?

I do not support eye testing for judges at all.  Until a large body of competitors come forward and declares that judging has gone completely down the toilet I don't see how these tests could be justified.  I think that experience and practice make more of a difference in actually seeing how a figure was flown than whether you have near perfect vision.  Perhaps individual chapters could try and encourage judges to come out on practice days and hone their skills too.  This way judges could stay more proficient as well as compare and trade pointers on grading without the pressure of a contest situation.   Blue Skies--Kris Mc

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Retired
Email Guenther Eichhorn