ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts Landings - "Slipping" vs. "Carrier" app ...

Message: Pitts Landings - "Slipping" vs. "Carrier" approach

From: JOHNNYBLUM at aol.com

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 15:20:54 UTC

Message:

  The recent thread  "re: Rudder ???"  discussed briefly the question of
whether using a forward-slip on landing approach is safe.  There hasn't been
a thread devoted to the subject, so I'm attempting to start one.

Some Pitts pilots fly a rectangular pattern and use a forward-slip on final,
while others prefer to fly a "U" shaped course from downwind to final (an
aircraft carrier style approach).  Most pilots I've met have insisted that
one way vs. the other is better and few have expressed a desire to be
proficient at both. Quite likely this bias was inherited from whoever first
taught them to fly a Pitts.  I was taught the slipping technique and am still
most comfortable in using it. From my viewpoint the benefits of the
Rectangular Pattern/Slipping Final technique are:

 - Increased chances of "fitting"  in a busy traffic pattern
 - You experience the "Pitts blind spot" for a shorter period of time
 - You have a better view of aircraft on the ground (holding  short of the
runway)
 - Flying a straight final gives a better ability to gage crosswinds

I find the main disadvantage is that flying in an uncoordinated slip feels
uncomfortable and is perhaps unnerving to passengers (as if the rest of the
flight wasn't already!)

I'm know there's another side to this and I'm probably in the minority.

So how do you like to land your Pitts?

John Blum
Boulder, CO
Pitts S-2B N5337V