ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts Landings - "Slipping" vs. "Carrier" app ...

Message: Pitts Landings - "Slipping" vs. "Carrier" approach

From: Derek Sherlock <dereks at hpfcla.fc.hp.com>

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 21:46:39 UTC

Message:

  For all the same reasons you gave, I prefer the rectangular pattern but
beleive it's important to practice both.

Both have drawbacks in the presence of other traffic:

- The carrier approach is problematic with other traffic because you're
not doing the same size or shape pattern as anybody else.

- The rectangular approach is problematic with other traffic because,
though you're following the same path over the ground, you're typically
staying high until short final and then descending steeply.

Since both are compromises, be sure to consider the weaknesses of each
and keep an especially careful eye on other traffic.

At a tower airport with a good controller, I've often been slipped in
ahead of slow planes doing huge patterns.  With the carrier type
pattern, I can get on the ground quick without inconveniencing anyone.
In most other situations I prefer the rectangular pattern with a steep
descent at the end.  In the absence of other traffic, it's often a very
small rectangle, though.

Derek.

--
 ___ __ /___ ___    Derek Sherlock
|   /  /_ _ \   |   Fort Collins Systems Lab (FSL)
|  /  / // / \  |   3404 E. Harmony
|  \ / //_/  /  |   Fort Collins CO 80525
      /             Direct: 970-229-7582
  H E W L E T T     Fax:    970-229-7388