ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts Landings - "Slipping" vs. "Carrier" app ...

Message: Re: Pitts Landings - "Slipping" vs. "Carrier" approach

From: "Marc S. Ludtke" <ludtke at whidbey.com>

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 02:33:30 UTC

Message:

  So far I agree with the majority; being proficient in "carrier style" 180
degree turn approaches, rectangular, and straight-in approaches will allow
much more flexibility in the traffic pattern. If you are new to landing the
Pitts, I recommend a combination: a curving approach (for visibility) with
enough of a straight segment on final to get your line-up straight, your
crosswind bracketed, and your will wrote before impact. A severe slip can
confound the straightening-out bit, and a tight turn close-in can cause
problems if you have a little over-shoot in the line-up (inside rudder,
etc.).

No matter what though, keep it high (always within gliding distance) and
make your final approach with little or no power. This will help preserve
what little visibility you've got. Coming in with power requires a flatter
approach to prevent overshooting, and the nose is too high to see. A slip
at that point (low, slow, and "cockeyed") with power on is really scary!
Especially if the fan quits.

A note on slips:
Using slips for adjustments in line-up and crosswind correction are
essential, but beware:
A steep bank slip, while increasing descent, actually can result in less
induced drag.  The wing will "slice" sideways at a lower absolute angle of
attack (rather then higher) and the airplane will pick up speed. If you
then use up elevator to slow down it may feel OK while in the slip, but
when you straighten the airplane out the angle of attack will return to its
former (higher) state. If your airspeed is low, this can bite.
Anybody concur???

Marc Ludtke