ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Approach and landings

Message: Approach and landings

From: "PAUL LOGUE" <GPAULOGUE at msn.com>

Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 15:21:25 UTC

Message:

  The "U" approach or 180 degree side approach, as taught to me 40 years ago
this year during my private pilot training, is my preferred approach in this
bundle of joy.  It gives the best sight picture with respect to not only your
landing point, but also to the projected glide path.  It is also great in high
performance aircraft,  including light to medium turbo-jet aircraft and the
like, on a dark night to a runway without ground lights nearby.  There are few
aircraft that slip more efficiently than the little Pitts Special and one can
slip continuously in this type of approach.  If there is a negative, it could
be the removal of possible oncoming traffic on the outboard side of the
approach.  But as we all know in aviation, eternal vigilance is the price of
survival and must be built into this procedure. Having made one engine-out
approach and landing in 1000 hours of Pitts time, this type of approach can
also be useful in forced landings.

When I have to extend or make a larger pattern, I wind up using the procedure
learned from Mike Goulian and was described in an earlier post.

"Slip and Skip"

Paul Logue
IAC3