Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Parachutes

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Parachutes

Thread: [Acro] Re: Parachutes

Follow-Up To: ACRO Email list (for List Members only)

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:51:46 UTC

ParachutesPat,

I have had two chutes go past the date where my rigger would repack them and this is what I did.

My wife taught at the local school, and the gym teacher is using one canopy for a game they play in class.
I guess they form a circle around the canopy, and flip it up while one child runs through, ideally
without the canopy coming back down.

The other one I use as a dust cover for my plane when it sits in the hangar for long period, such as during the
Arctic outbreaks we have here in the upper Midwest.

My wife uses the riser cords to tie up her tomato and pepper plants. She has enough for many years
of gardening.

Old chutes unfortunately have very few uses.

Jim Klick
S1S N9JT
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  To: IAC exploder 
  Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 7:24 AM
  Subject: [Acro] Parachutes

I am posting this for a friend. Her husband was a Pitts pilot who stopped flying when he became ill in 2000 and has since passed away. She has two emergency chutes that he used for himself and passengers:

Strong 26 ft LoPo paracushion, purchased in April 1979. Red. Well worn. I & R  in 2000. I've recently been told that the manufacturer puts a 20 year life on this chute so it's now out of service.

Security 350 4.8 meter. Purchased in 1989. Inflatable side bolsters (missing inflator bulb) and bag. Red with grey liner. Good condition. I & R  in 2000. Same person told me that the Security has a 15 year limit and therefore goes out of date this year.

Is there any use for these chutes at this point? Do they have any value at all? 

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Pat Holliday 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm Attachement 1: part2.html

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Retired
Email Guenther Eichhorn