ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Fwd: spring gear]

Message: Re: [Fwd: spring gear]

From: Herman Dierks <dierks at austin.ibm.com>

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 00:16:16 UTC

Message:

   Liz, thanks for the informative posting.
 I fly both RV4 and Pitts.
 One common problem on the RV's that everyone has is a gear leg
 shimmy when slowing down on the landing roll out on pavement.
 This normally happens around 10 to 15 MPH.
 Some of the RV's (including mine) were modified to add some
 wood strips to the gear leg and wrap them in fiberglass.
 This helps dampen the gear leg oscillations and helps the shimmy.
 Tire pressure is also a factor.
 Others have claimed that balancing the wheel pants with lead
 to balance about the axel will also help. I have not tried this.

 This is a minor problem but I was wondering if you see the same
 thing on the Pitts with the round Whittman tapered spring gear?

 Also, some of the RV's have had the top of the gear leg socket
 bust out. Van's now welds the doubler ring at the top of the
 socket all the way around the top instead if just rosette weld it.

 Herman
 dierks at austin.ibm.com