ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Fwd: spring gear]

Message: Re: [Fwd: spring gear]

From: olinda at sisna.com (Dave Pilkington)

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 01:42:49 UTC

Message:

  We put the RV style gear on a modified S-1S in Australia. Yes, it does
shimmy and the fairing does help to damp it out.

In getting CAA approval for the modification we did a Finite Element
Structural analysis of this particular gear which revealed a weak point near
the top of the leg. While we were pondering this the aeroplane proved the
truth of the analysis by cracking one of the tubes. We added a bit more
metal and it has worked well for the last 4 or 5 years.