ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Team Pay-back

Message: Re: Team Pay-back

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:32:48 UTC

Message:

  George,
Having stayed clear of this thread (re. whether Team members should be
obligated to judge, or conversely whether they shouldn't be allowed to--well,
thats an over-simplification), I can answer your question about "what's a
beginner to do?": What to do is work toward becoming a judge. It will make
you a better pilot and more aware of grading criteria, and should improve
your scores. I cannot imagine the implied consequence of having your scores
lowered in retribution for "improperly" judging other pilots. As best I've
been able to tell, the contests I've attended here in the Northwest and
California have been well and fairly judged. If there's petty politics
resulting in bias, it's happening somewhere that I haven't been.
Besides, becoming a judge is an accomplishment to be proud of, and judging is
much more fun than watching a corner or flipping panels.
Doug Sowder