ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts Paint and Fabric Problem

Message: re: Pitts Paint and Fabric Problem

From: "Dave Swartz" <dswartz at icanect.net>

Date: Sun, 02 Mar 1997 01:08:31 UTC

Message:

  I have a November 1991 S2B that suffered similar problems.  The factory did
not prep aircraft properly for dope (no observable dac-proofing- we think
it was sprayed instead of brushed in) and the original dope started leaving
the aircraft after only 30 hours.  We ended up flying the aircraft back to
Afton for a complete recover after 18 months.  The recover looked like it
was going to hold up better (it was dac-proofed), but we had to recover the
top wing (locally) after another 18 months when the tapes started
separating.  Our newly recovered wing has the tapes glued down rather than
just held down with dope.

Dave Swartz
Plantation, Florida