ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts Paint and Fabric Problem

Message: Re[2]: Pitts Paint and Fabric Problem

From: Jeffrey Lo <Jeffrey_Lo at ccm.sc.intel.com>

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 22:40:38 UTC

Message:

Text item:

There was also an incident at the 1995 Delano contest where an S2B lost
a patch of fabric from the top of the center section during a pullout
from a vertical downline.  I was working the corner and saw a couple of
pieces of something dropping behind the airplane.  It turned out to be
the fabric.  I think it was probably 3-4 square feet of fabric.  The
plane was fairly new then, probably less than a year.

Jeff Lo
Jeffrey_Lo at ccm.sc.intel.com
1988 Pitts Special S1S N230MP (under rebuild)
San Jose, CA

                                                   March 3,  1997

     The incident involving Roy Speeg's Pitts S-2B was much
more serious than just the paint peeling off the fabric.  The
fabric itself split at the leading edge of the upper right wing
and peeled itself back toward the spar.  The tear was about
3 feet in length along the leading edge and peeled itself
back about 2 feet.  This happened while the aircraft was in
flight.  I happened to be flying Roy's airplane when the
failure occurred.  Actually, I was on a vertical upline when
I first noticed it,  so the airspeed was relatively low.
However, it is possible that the rip occurred earlier but was
not severe enough to be able to see it from the cockpit until
it progressed further.  Fortunately, the entire area affected
was inboard of the aileron so there was no significant
adverse affect on controllability of the aircraft and I was
able to accomplish a normal landing with the aircraft.

     I also own a 1991 Pitts S-2B and I have had no problems
with either the fabric or the paint.  The fabric on my airplane
is cotton but the fabric on Roy's airplane is dacron which
should be stronger than cotton and less susceptible to this
kind of failure.

                                                   Sheldon Apsell
                                                   Newton, MA
                                                   Pitts S-2B  N11AN