ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts S1S Roll Rate

Message: Re: Pitts S1S Roll Rate

From: Herman Dierks <dierks at austin.ibm.com>

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:11:03 UTC

Message:

   The S1-T uses symetrical ailerons.  Some S1S's have been modified to
 use the S1-T ailerons.  I know of one S1S going together this way.
 Also, some of the 'lightweight' sparcraft wings (like Dan Beckmann built up)
 used symetrical ailerons and they are one bay longer also.
 If you use the T ailerons, the slave struts are also different on T vs S.

 I don't know if the T ailerons roll any faster or not. I think it helps
 the rolls from inverted flight some.  The T roll rate is still not very fast.

 Some have put end plates on the ailerons to help the roll rate.
 I think this helps reduce air from spilling around the ends of the ailerons.
 I would like to hear some facts it that helps or not.

 Herman
 dierks at austin.ibm.com