ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts S1S Roll Rate

Message: Re[2]: Pitts S1S Roll Rate

From: Jeffrey Lo <Jeffrey_Lo at ccm.sc.intel.com>

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 05:31:07 UTC

Message:

  I'd be interested in what you find out on the end plates.  I am having
my S1S w/Falcon wings rebuilt after my little run-in w/another Pitts at
the Reno Air Races, and the wings are about 1/3 finished at this point.

I'd also like to hear what people think about blunt trailing edges.  The
plane originally had a trailing edge about 3/8 inch thick, and I'm
trying to decide if I want to keep this or thin it down.  I've heard
that it helps roll acceleration, but I've been told that there was a bit
of a "dead spot" in the ailerons around neutral in my plane.  My only
other S1 experience was in a 2 aileron, roundwing S1A, so the new plane
always felt fast to me in roll (~360 deg/sec).

The last thing I am thinking about are that the ailerons went all the
way out to the wingtip, but I've seen other Falcon wings that had what
looked like one rib, about 1/2 inch thick, of wing beyond the end of the
aileron.

I must say, rebuilding (or building) a plane has its good points, like
getting the plane just the way you want it, but of course, I have
nothing to fly and the weather is gorgeous here in California.

BTW, I believe that the Falcon wing has symetrical ailerons.

Thanks,
Jeff Lo
Jeffrey_Lo at ccm.sc.intel.com
1988 Pitts Special S1S N230MP (being rebuilt)
San Jose, CA

 The S1-T uses symetrical ailerons.  Some S1S's have been modified to
 use the S1-T ailerons.  I know of one S1S going together this way.
 Also, some of the 'lightweight' sparcraft wings (like Dan Beckmann built up)
 used symetrical ailerons and they are one bay longer also.
 If you use the T ailerons, the slave struts are also different on T vs S.

 I don't know if the T ailerons roll any faster or not. I think it helps
 the rolls from inverted flight some.  The T roll rate is still not very fast.

 Some have put end plates on the ailerons to help the roll rate.
 I think this helps reduce air from spilling around the ends of the ailerons.
 I would like to hear some facts it that helps or not.

 Herman
 dierks at austin.ibm.com