ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts S1S Roll Rate

Message: Pitts S1S Roll Rate

From: Stefan Kwiecien <101361.1434 at CompuServe.COM>

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 21:26:16 UTC

Message:

  I'm a part-owner of G-BKDR, the "fastest-rolling Pitts" that Alan Cassidy referred to recently. I had to force-land it
in November when something disintegrated in the fuel injector body and it turned over onto its back. I emerged
completely unscathed but the aeroplane was substantially damaged, including a broken top wing spar. Anyway, we're going
to rebuild it and we're looking for improvement opportunities.

I have two questions about aileron fences:

1) Why use lexan rather than, say, alloy?

2) What is the relative effectiveness of the inboard and outboard fences? Is it worth having both?

Stefan Kwiecien
IAC #17416
Pitts S-1S
UK