ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Pitts S1S Roll Rate

Message: Re: Pitts S1S Roll Rate

From: RKlarich at aol.com

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 00:56:53 UTC

Message:

  re:  Material for fences- Gordon Price used Lexan on his biplane's plates,
can be seen in IAC tech tips.  Alloy might work just fine, though I haven't
compared stiffness vs. weight- leading to the argument for composite plates
(requiring fabrication).    Lexan is easy to work with.

As for why inboard and outboard- haven't quite gotten into tuft testing or
the wind tunnel, I imagine putting chordwise fences leading to the aileron
would be effective also....   The attempt is to reduce any spillage across
the aileron at the ends, either onto or off of the surface.  The plate is
just a "gap" seal, which is fixed to the aileron itself to give a simple,
minimal gap.

I am not planning on getting into vortex generators or boundry layer control,
time to go flying!

Rich Klarich
Mt Laurel, NJ