ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Vertigo

Message: Vertigo

From: "Damon Wack" <lomcevak at win.bright.net>

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 14:00:35 UTC

Message:

  There was an interesting article in the St. Paul newspaper yesterday about
a new treatment for sufferers of Meniere's Disease, which causes, among
other things,  severe bouts of vertigo in its victims.  Doctors theorize
the vertigo is caused by an excess of fluid in the inner ear, and although
they don't know what causes the excess production, they have a way now of
stopping it without excessively harming the patients hearing.  I won't
quote the whole article, but here is the side bar:

"Doctors at the Mayo Clinic are now treating severe cases of Meniere's
Disease by inserting a needle through the patients eardrum and injecting an
antibiotic - gentamicin - behind the eardrum.  When absorbed by the inner
ear, the antibiotic destroys fluid producing cells.  The treatment has
*eliminated* severe vertigo in 84% of the 23 patients who have undergone
the procedure."

Apparently, however, some hearing related cells can be damaged, as the
article goes on to say this procedure is only used in cases where the
symptoms are so severe as to interfere with the patients lives.  The
researchers are trying to determine the optimum dose of the antibiotic, as
the fluid producing cells are more sensitive to the antibiotoic than the
cells associated with hearing.

So, no easy fix for the wobblies perhaps, but maybe there are some clues in
the research done here for the more learned among us to ferret out?  I have
never suffered the wobblies, but are there valid parallels between them and
this disease?  Does fluid level in the inner ear have anything to do with
the wobblies?  Is anyone doing any research in this area that might be
interested in this article?  I'd be happy to make copies and send it out,
if they think it is worth looking into.

Damon