ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Elimination of Aerobatic Box

Message: Re: Elimination of Aerobatic Box

From: N606SU at aol.com

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:42:29 UTC

Message:

  Princess,
I agree with you on this one.
Flying within the box is and always has been part of  flying aerobatics. Part
of the challenge is flying the manuvers in the correct location over the
ground. I certainly have never been able to stay in the box myself so my
position has nothing to do with improving my personal winning edge.
The judges are already scoring each pilot for his overall positioning and
this reflects and grades the symetry and flow of the flight. Except in the
case of flagrant outs you rarely see judges give "tics" for being out. Judges
can't very well judge "outs" beyond the back of the box. Even in my short
time in this sport I have seen a number of occassions where two otherwise
very good flights were separated by one pilots superior ability to control
position over the ground.
I think boundary judges add to the quality of the flying in our competitions
and therefore add to the sport.
Besides some of our Texas pilots wouldn't have such nice evens suntans if it
were not for corner judging.

Ray LeBlanc