ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Elimination of Aerobatic Box

Message: Re: Elimination of Aerobatic Box

From: ultimate at spindle.net (ultimate@spindle.net)

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 16:25:45 UTC

Message:

  I agree with Allyson.  Keep the box.

Eliminating the box because of the labor involved in laying it out is
not sufficient reason for getting rid of it.  I don't personally know
either Mr. Klick or Mr. Myers but I know these guys can produce some
well thought-out, meaningful posts that are useful to the aerobatic
community because I've seen them do it before with respect to other
issues.

So let's frame the question this way:  If we could magically have box
boundary markers laid out with no labor, would we keep or eliminate the
box SOLELY because we collectively decide it is or it is not necessary
for flying aerobatic competition AS WE WANT TO DO IT IN THIS COUNTRY?

For one thing, focus on how we're trying to promote aerobatics from the
bottom up - bring new pilots into the fold, so to speak.  Our rule book
and the judging criteria specified therein INCLUDING the box dimensions
provides a training framework within which a new aerobatic pilot can
operate and in which experienced pilots can assist.  This is important
because it supplies a "program" that both neophytes and oldtimers can
follow.  There is no other viable informal or formal training structure
to be found anywhere else in this country for learning safe aerobatics.
Coaching and reminding a sportsman competitor during practice sessions
about the box limits trains him/her to keep the flight in front of the
judges, prevents wasting energy here and there, forces planning and
thinking about the sequence, the flight, the wind, the maneuvers, how it
presents to the judges, etc., while being safe.  This is part of what
makes competiton aerobatics a precision skill vs. stunt flying.  We want
this, don't we?

This is supported by Patty Wagstaff's response about the boundaries,
and, although addressed to all levels of competition, indirectly
supports grassroots (that nagging word again!) acro and lower category
competition (or maybe it was actually her point -- ?).

Of course, by default, when a competitor gets to Advanced he/she can be
the kind of pilot that most of the panel in April's S/A says makes it
unncessary to have boundaries.

Daryle L. Grounds, CPA, so I don't have time right now to say more since
it's close to April 15th.

Dallas, TX
Chapter 24