ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Elimination of Aerobatic Box

Message: Elimination of Aerobatic Box

From: "Dennis N. Yugo" <dyugo at hooked.net>

Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 05:45:14 UTC

Message:

  As long as we continue our current system where pilots flying aircraft
with substantialy different performance compete in the same category,
we should stick with our current fixed-size box with boundary
infringements. This system is the just about the only equalizer, and the
only inhibitor of otherwise unbridled pursuit of power and speed.

IN ADDITION, boundary judging is the most objective judging in our
sport. It doesn't matter if one prefers monoplanes to biplanes, sharp
corners to round corners, or arcane 19th-century nationalistic European
standards to American standards, with boundary judging you are either
in the box or you are out of the box, PERIOD!

(Not to change the subject, but if high- and low- performance aircraft
were NOT in the same category, then it would be possible to eliminate
the box marking and boundary judge logistical problems without
penalizing some pilots more than others. Contests would be considerably
easier to stage, and (who knows?) perhaps there would be more of them.)
--
Dennis Yugo
http://www.hooked.net/~dyugo/design.htm