ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: the box

Message: the box

From: Jim Klick <klick at aps.anl.gov>

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 21:36:02 UTC

Message:

  One last two cents worth before I spend the weekend hoping for good weather
in Chicago.
It's not just the labor to set out and remove the markers, although that
seems to be getting harder to do, or maybe I'm just getting older.
It's rounding up and herding out boundary judges. There have been times
when two hours of flying weather go by while boundary judges are located,
briefed,driven out, radio checks held (oops wrong channel again, drive out
and turn on radio,etc.). And that's when they are not competitors. When
a pilot finishes flying, he/she wants some time to get a drink, etc.
before going out to the boundary, and they want time to cool down when they
come in off the line, so they cannot judge the category just before theirs.
I could go on and on. I'd like to try, maybe only for sportsman or inter-
mediate, to increase the positioning penalties, which, I think, would
achieve the same thing.
Think higer temps, lower winds.
Jim Klick