ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Accidents

From: MDSkaggs at aol.com

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:31:53 UTC

Message:

  </A>
On July 11, 1999, at 1311 Eastern Daylight Time, a homebuilt Pitts S-1S,
N2118, was destroyed while maneuvering at Norwalk-Huron County Airport
(OH21), Norwalk, Ohio. The certificated commercial pilot was fatally injured.
Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. No
flight plan was filed for the local flight, which was conducted under 14 CFR
Part 91. According to a witness, the airplane made a low pass over Runway 28.
About halfway down the 4,210-foot runway, the airplane "briefly" became
inverted, then returned to upright, level flight. It began a shallow right
turn, and impacted 80-foot trees beyond the end, and just to the right of the
runway.

I was wondering about the possibility of improving the survivability of
crashes in aerobatic airplanes with some of the new technology that is
available. (No technology can erase stupidity)

If anyone else saw the Grand Prix of Britain and watched Michael Schumacher
hit the wall on the opening lap, it is a wonder he survived. He hit a ton
head on into a wall (the black box showed 67 mph) and only broke a leg. There
is not much space between a driver and the front of an F-1 car. Also, during
the 24 hours of LeMans, the Mercedes CLR GT cars flipped aerodynamically 3
times. The last time it flipped, the car was going 200 mph, became airborne,
(it went up 150ft!) and flipped multiple times before landing in the trees on
its wheels. The driver was unhurt. It was the most dramatic racing incident
ever.

My point is, the dynamics of the LeMans crash appear similar to that of a
lower speed, lower angle of impact airplane crash. I know that composites
probably have a lot to do with energy absorption and was wondering if the
same technology can be incorporated into aircraft. Any of you engineering
types have any opinions?

Mike Skaggs

PS If anyone wants the .avi file of the Sukhoi 30 crash at the Paris Air
Show, I have it. It is pretty spectacular.