ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Accidents

Message: Re: [IAC] Accidents

From: hjhitch <hjhitch at ibm.net>

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:32:52 UTC

Message:

  Mike,

I saw the incidents you mentioned in your post.  While it is easy to
agree with you on the basic principal, putting theory into reality is
another problem.  If you notice on the F-1 and other cars, they come
apart upon impact.  The energy of hitting the wall is absorbed by the
tire assembly and other parts being torn off.  What remains is the
survival tub.  Now look at a Pitts.  You can notice that the engine,
wings and everything else is hard mounted directly to the fuselage
structure.  Any impact energy is directed toward the tubing and
cockpit.  Notice also that the pilot is part of this equation, seats and
belts are mounted on this tubing.

So the reality is can you design a plane that will absorb impact, while
at the same time stay together during a 10+ G pull?  It was reported
some time ago that there was research into this.  I haven't heard if
anything has been done, perhaps someone knows more.

FYI, Grumman did manage to do some work on this area.  If you ever
notice the landing wrecks of an F4F or F6, the engine seperates at the
firewall and the tail behind the cockpit.  I'm sure there are more than
a few pilots grateful for this.

Hal Hitchcock