ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Accidents

Message: Re: [IAC] Accidents

From: MDSkaggs at aol.com

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 18:37:37 UTC

Message:

  I just finished reading Dr. Andrew Pramer's letter to the editor in the July
issue of Sport Aerobatics. I have to say that I respectfully disagree with
his views on a safe altitude for aerobatic practice.

He maintains that a pilot practicing new maneuvers needs to be at 6,500 ft or
higher. I maintain that, if you need 6,500 feet to recover a botched maneuver
in an aerobatic aircraft, then you need more training or perhaps you should
not be flying aerobatics at all. He says that those of us who say 3000' is
high enough have "lost touch with reality." The reality is that most
aerobatic airplanes, especially a pitts, will recover from any spin
relatively quickly.IF YOU HAVE THE PROPER TRAINING, you should be able to
recover from any botched maneuver if you are the "standard altitudes." (If
you are doing multiple turn spins on purpose then I believe you do need to be
that high)

The key is training, not flying at the flight levels. There are so many good
schools and qualified instructors out there. It should be the IAC's policy
that all new pilots complete an approved spin course from a place like H&R or
Fly Safe. They take you up, make you close your eyes, and put it into some
wild spin and you open your eyes and recover. I did my training at Pompano
and not only are you able to recognize a spin and recover quickly, but it
really helps keep you from spinning in the first place.

We also need to realize that aerobatics is not for everyone. We have all seen
the types that 'just don't get it.' I can't dance to save my life and I don't
try, some people can't fly aerobatics. Perhaps the little pledge cards should
also include a pledge to tell the people that 'don't get it' to find a new
hobby.

I am not trying to belittle any certain accident, I just think that flying
over 6,500 ft is treating a disease, not finding a cure.

Mike Skaggs