ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Accidents

Message: Re: [IAC] Accidents

From: Archer5151 at aol.com

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 01:14:47 UTC

Message:

  In my past days of racing off-road we wore "horse collars" to protect the
neck in an accident.  A horse collar prevents much of the movement so your
head can't be tossed around a stress the neck.  I think it would be difficult
to produce the same effect without losing the ability to see in all
directions especially backwards to pickup the horizon in a loop......

We also had straps on our arms to keep them inside the roll cage during an
accident.  Again I think it would be hard to do in the cockpit.

It seems to me we are at odds.....we want super strong airframes, yet
crushable in an accident......a solution which will be clever if found.

RIck Aldom