ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Accidents

Message: Re: [IAC] Accidents

From: MDSkaggs at aol.com

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 18:15:13 UTC

Message:

  Damon,

I know a lot of friends of mine have not received the July issue. Mr.
Pramer's letter is long and I agree with certain points he makes but disagree
with some and the general idea of his letter. Again, I am not referencing any
accident, just suggested policy.

I was not talking about test flights, trying a lump for the first time, or
other nonstandard type of flights. I am talking about flying the sequence in
whatever category that you fly or practicing individual maneuvers. Let me
quote Dr. Pramer...

"The most efficient way to correct a maneuver gone sour is to sense it
instantly, know exactly what went wrong and why, know exactly what control
input needs to be immediately taken to correct the situation, and fly the
plane out precisely. Carl Pascarell can do this in a Pitts special. I
personally cannot, and many of my novice acro friends cannot."

Now, I might be misunderstanding him, but I take this to mean that a botched
maneuver would consist of sportsman category maneuvers in proven aircraft. If
the standard spin entry in the sportsman sequence is 3000' at a contest and
someone needs more than that to recover on a daily basis, what will happen
when that person comes to a contest and 'botches a maneuver'?

Also, a low time pilot can be taught to recognize just what Mr. Pramer thinks
novice acro pilots are not able to do. When I did my training, (we started at
6000 ft) the main idea was to learn to recognize what was going on. This is
my point. How many eyebrows would be raised at a contest if someone spun out
of the immelman or hammerhead in sportsman and took multiple turns to recover?

My stance is that everyone should take a rigorous spin course. That is all. I
am not trying to discourage someone from flying as high as they want, but it
needs to be for other reasons than the inability to recognize a spin. I just
think that Mr. Primers statement that those of us who practice low (standard
contest altitudes, not airshow altitudes) have "lost touch with reality" is
not correct.

It looks like General Aviation is going to get another black eye
today....Like it need one.

I can't wait to see a Model 12 start flying competition...Hurry up Damon!

Mike Skaggs