ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: TBL or not TBL

Message: Re: TBL or not TBL

From: "Drew Lundgren" <acrodrew at nol.net>

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 05:04:06 UTC

Message:

  TBL does something very important - it recognizes and removes bias.  Let's
keep it.  Yes, I understand what the Red Book has to say about TBL,
including the underlying algorithms.  Just because we don't understand
something doesn't mean we should not trust it.  When I fly my airplane I
don't understand some of the complex design work on the structure, such as
harmonics or tensors, but I still fly it.  As for the leader board idea -
its great for golf and would be good for this sport if combined with TBL.
What would make it even more fun is to watch a highly ranked pilot early in
the flight drop back when sufficient scores had been collected to
demonstrate bias by one or more judges that had earlier favored the pilot.
There would be several red faces, and it wouldn't be from too much sun!