ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: TBL or not TBL

Message: TBL or not TBL

From: Derek Sherlock <dereks at hpfcla.fc.hp.com>

Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:22:51 UTC

Message:

  My vote....

Toss TBL or keep it, who cares:  But NORMALIZE the judges scores FIRST,
in any new system you use!

Without normalization, consistently high-scoring judges have more say in
the final score than consistently low scoring judges.  That cheats both
the competitor and the judge.

In my experience, some of the most consistent, fairest judges are low
scorers.  Very often they are the only ones who noticed my little
"cheats", or heading problems out near the extremities of the box, or
whatever.

I often get undeserved 9.0 and 9.5 scores, but I've NEVER yet had an
undeserved low score!  (I guess I shouldn't be bragging about that <g>).

Derek.

PS:  If normalization interferes with the the leader board concept, then
we should live without the leader board.

--
 ___ __ /___ ___    Derek Sherlock
|   /  /_ _ \   |   Fort Collins Systems Lab (FSL)
|  /  / // / \  |   3404 E. Harmony
|  \ / //_/  /  |   Fort Collins CO 80525
      /             Direct: 970-229-7582
  H E W L E T T     Fax:    970-229-7388