ACRO E-mail Archive Thread:

Message: Re:

From: Klein Gilhousen <kleing at qualcomm.com>

Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 23:57:47 UTC

Message:

  Van, this is a typical bogus attempt by your FSDO to make more work for
themselves while causing you more grief.

The controlling document, 8130.65 is quite clear on this issue.  The
document describes four groups of experimental exhibition aircraft.

Our group is group I, Performance Competition Aircraft.  For this group is
says, "Proficiency area: A radius of 300 nautical miles from their
designated home base airport."

For group II, Turbine Powered Aircraft, such as Mig-17, L-29, T-33, etc it
says "Proficiency area: Limited to a radius of 600 nautical miles from the
designated home airport.  Proficiency flights will be limited to a non-stop
flight that begins and ends at the specified home airport, with sufficient
fuel reserve to meet the applicapable operating rules of part 91.
Operators who choose to fly to another airport within the assigned
proficiency area must notify their geographically responsible FSDO prior to
each proficiency flight away from their home airport."

For group III, piston powered warbirds, it has similar words as group I
except that the radius is 600 miles for aircraft of greater than 800 hp.

Group IV, other aircraft, says, "Proficiency area:  Limited to a non-stop
flight that begins and ends at the specified home airport, with sufficient
fuel reserve to meet ...."

So....if they had meant to limit us to a non-stop only flight to/from the
home airport, they would have said so as they did for Group II and Group
IV.  But they didn't.  The rules aren't such that everything not
specifically approved is forbidden.  It's the other way around, i.e.,
everything not specifically forbidden is approved.

The guy you're talking to is just an idiot.  If he won't give you an
appropriate set of operating limitations for your aircraft, just appeal it
to his boss, his boss's boss, etc till you find someone who knows how to
read.  If you don't have a copy of 8130.65, you should get one and read the
rules to the guy.  Hey, he doesn't really want to get a fax from you
everytime you go flying.  He doesn't have the power to say no in any case.
Note that even for group II, the requirement is to _NOTIFY_ not get
permission.  Even if you're flying a MiG-17 somewhere, all you need to do
is send the FSDO a fax and blast off.  Just ask Dave Sutton about this for
more details.

The FSDO really has no discretionary power to give you this kind of grief.
The 8130.65 document spells out in great detail exactly what each paragraph
of the operation limitations should say.  There is a list of possible
paragraphs and a table that says, for each group, which paragraphs should
be included.  Group I phase 2 gets paragraph 33 for proficiency area
description, and does _NOT_ get paragraph 34 or 36 which are the ones that
limit you to non-stop flights to/from your home airport.

Klein Gilhousen