ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Competition questions

Message: Competition questions

From: Steve Pennypacker <spenny at vis.com>

Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 12:07:58 UTC

Message:

  I will be entering my first contest (Orange, MA) in a couple of weeks.  I've
been reading the judging criteria in the Redbook, as well as reading from
various other sources, and understand most of what the judges are looking
for.  But I have a couple of questions regarding crosswind correction that I
hope this group can help to clear up.

I'm interested in (1) what the judges are supposed to look for, and (2) what
they really look for.  I won't turn down any suggestions on how to cheat...

Regarding looping maneuvers:  I understand you need wings level on
entry/exit, and that the track over the ground must be a perfect circle, as
of course all of mine are (yeah, right).  If there is a crosswind component,
this implies some combination of roll/yaw.  The question is, will the judges
downgrade if they see this, or are they just looking at the airplane's
center of mass?

Regarding horizontal lines (ie- a slow roll):  The way I read the rules,
you're downgraded for any of the following:
        - wings not level on entry/exit
        - longitudinal axis not parallel to X-axis.
        - Flight path over the ground not parallel to X-axis.

In a crosswind, the first two necessarily conflict with the third, leaving
your only option as cheating (OK with me), which in a strong wind and a weak
Decathlon is only going to get you so far.  It's not possible to avoid some
sort of a downgrade, and the real question is how to manage the flight to
minimize the downgrades.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

On an unrelated note- Anyone in the Boston area doing any critiquing this
weekend?

-Steve Pennypacker