ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: S-1S Tire Change

Message: S-1S Tire Change

From: bwana at mred.bgm.link.com ('Bwana' Bob Buckley)

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 19:51:10 UTC

Message:

Hello!

I'm in need of changing a tire on my Pitts S-1S for the first time.
I have a steel spring gear and am apprehensive about how to safetly jack
the gear off the ground. I have a compact car jack that seems to be
appropriate for the ground clearance, as well as weight consideration,
but doesn't quite align. It looks like there is the possibility of the
aircraft falling off the jack (i.e., it leans over when in place). I am
considering placing a solid blobk of wood in place and just deflating the
tube without the need for jacking up the gear at all. However, I envision
the possibility of the gear falling off the block similar to that of the
jack. What other techniques and/or tools are being used when changing
tires/wheels/tubes? I've purchased the tech tips but haven't had the time
to browse thru them, so a nice paper that describes this task may exists.
So, I'll take a look as soon as I can.

I've been advised the following:

Remove the brake for an easier task. However, I am so hardware challenged
I'd be afraid of screwing up the brake system and with a Haigh tailwheel
this is something I don't want any potential to screwup.

Deflate the tube COMPLETELY. Remove the stem (I think).

Use some talcum powder on the tube when inserting it into the new tire and
ensure that it does not pinch itself.

BTW, I got a rather strange gouge on the inboard side of the tire that is
about 1/16" into the tire and goes completely around the circumference
where the tread attaches to the side wall. I have no idea what caused this.
There is an extra gouge about 1/2" long on the sidewall. No extrusions
exist in the wheel pants nor are there any screws alighned with the
concentric cirlce. Hmmm!!

Thanks for the constructive responses.

'Bwana' Bob Buckley      |                     |   Hughes Training, Inc.
Visual Engineering       | "Let the good times | P.O. Box 6171, M.S. 402
(817) 619-8727           |     'Snap' Roll"    |    Arlington, TX  76005
bwana at MrEd.bgm.link.com  |                     |          (817) 619-2000