ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: S-1S Tire Change

Message: Re: S-1S Tire Change

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 23:56:19 UTC

Message:

  Bob,
To change a tire on my S-1 with spring gear, I use a piece of 2 x 4 about 8"
long. I've whittled one edge with my pocket knife so that when clamped to the
inner surface of the spring gear leg, the whittled surface is parallel to the
ground. I clamp this block to the inner surface using one (two would be
better) C-clamp, using a small piece of 1/4" plywood to protect the outer
surface of the gear leg from the clamp. Then I use a 1/2 ton hydraulic bottle
jack to jack up the wheel. Works great. The bottle jack is pretty stable, but
a screw-type jack or scissors jack would probably work fine also. If
necessary, put a 2 x 4 or two under the jack, as the angled block must be
clamped on in such a place that the jack will clear the brake caliper.
<<envision wagging finger>>How have you been checking your wheel bearings all
these years!!??
You do have to remove the little opposing shoe on the caliper, but need not
crack the hydraulic system. BTW, I can change the brake pads on my Pitts
without even removing the wheel pants! And without jacking it up.
The gouge in the inboard tire sidewall is caused by hard landing on a tire
that doesn't have enough air in it. I assume that the caliper is on the
bottom of the wheel, and when that soft tire bulges sideways under heavy
load, it drags on the caliper. I find it easier to just air up to 35 psi
rather than improve my landing technique! Hope this helps.
Doug Sowder