ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Radios

Message: Re: [IAC] Radios

From: "Marc Ludtke" <ludmas at csonline.net>

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 03:11:12 UTC

Message:

  I don't have much use for Terra's either. When they work, I found the freq
selection knob hard to use. In a plane that demands as much "heads-up" time
as a modern acro ship, the Terra method of tuning is tedious. It uses a
single knob that senses speed of rotation to select freq, maybe it just
sakes more practice...

Just a note, I bought an Icom panel mount com radio, and it is a work of
art. And no, Art is not the guy that built it.  I stuck it in my Taylorcraft
and it works better than the Collins crap in the Citation I fly. Also had a
Icom hand-held in my S-1 with an external antenna and in-line 10 watt
booster amp, and it worked well too. Only thing is that you have to
"deselect" the amp when flying formation. It was so strong it would over-
modulate or throbulate or something-er-other to an airplane too close.

I'm learning a lot of new words on this list since the introduction of the
insultometer Slam-o-Gram...

Marc