ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: RADIOS

From: Andrew Boyd <aboyd at qnx.com>

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:43:29 UTC

Message:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Michael Hennessy wrote:

> I am in need of ideas/suggestions.  My 10 year old S2B has functional =
> but limited radios (King KT76A transponder, King  KY97A com and an =
> intercom).

Look on the bright side: at least you don't have a VOR  :-)

I use exactly the same setup, and I'm pretty happy with it
for local flying - no nav radios.  For x/c I carry along a
garmin 196 - what a great gps for a no-gyro aircraft.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap196/

One more conventient alternative is to replace the comm with
a combined comm/gps - king, garmin and apollo all make combined
comm/gps, but their prices are high and their features always
seem to lag comparted to the handheld gps's.

If you're not into combined comm/GPS, for a new installation, I
would be tempted to look at something like the Becker 4201 comm
and Becker 4401 xponder, which are small and light.

http://www.beckerusa.com/index1.html

Also, be sure to check out the (Australian) Microair line of
avionics, which appear quite similar in form factor to the
Becker - very small and light:

http://www.microair.com.au/index.aspx?page=127&mid=5&productRedirect=sale&productID=25
http://www.microair.com.au/index.aspx?page=127&mid=5&productRedirect=sale&productID=26

For an intercom, I wouldn't consider anything except the PS Engineering
PM1200, which probably works better in a noisy Pitts cockpit than any
other intercom:

http://www.ps-engineering.com/PM1200.shtml

--
aboyd at pittspecials.com   http://www.pittspecials.com/images/oz_down.jpg