ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:379] Re: Fwd: URGENT VIRUS ALERT+READ T ...

From: Dan Rossi <drossi at eskimo.com>

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 02:06:26 UTC

Message:

  Oh yeah,  I've been attacked by this virus myself.  After it downloaded
itself it erased my hard drive.  It then called all my friends using my
modem and erased all their drives.  Then it set my house on fire, stole my
car, after it ran around town wreaking havoc it traced my credit card
activity, located me at a hotel and it has now attacked me.  I ... am just
.... barely ...... able to type
...ewoiusdjfka;opzxc874315jhkdjwioerujuizxpvyiawer4

This is a HOAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only viral contamination of this type of "email" virus is that I had
to pass through 23 screens of headers to find out which hoax it actually
was.  The only way a virus can be passed via email is if it is an attached
executable file.  So if you don't want to get a virus via email don't
download and run a suspect executable file.  If it looks particularly
interesting you can download it and run a virus scanner on it before you
execute it.

There are several other virus hoaxes out there.  The "goodtimes" virus.
The "penpal greetings" virus.  The "congratulations" virus.  Hmm, I think
those are the bigies.

Don't keep forwarding this alert to all your friends.  You're just wasting
bandwidth if you do.

Later.

Blue Skies
Dan Rossi