ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:404] Pitts',pumps,props

From: Mark Stuart <woxoff at compuserve.com>

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 21:57:11 UTC

Message:

  Hello all,

1st thing;  Pitts' have a certain appeal to them that no other aircraft
have.  Sure, they might not perform to some of the specs of the new
monoplanes, but why do people drive antique cars?  They are hard on gas,
handle like crap,etc but they have an appeal.  That is not to say a Pitts=

does not perform well.  They are very capable of performing at the advanc=
level - and winning.  My S1S with 180hp is plenty of fun.  I wonder what
the S1-11B would do for my performance?? hmmm.  Lastly, how many monoplan=
es
can you take the 'roof' off of and go for a relaxing cruise at dusk with?=

Next, how about some good models of automotive style pumps for smoke that=

us homebuilt guys can use?

Lastly, my S1S currently has an aluminum Sensenich propeller on it.  I've=

got many hours of polishing into it, but I'm afraid of screwing my engine=
=2E =

I would appreciate reports from anyone running wood or composite props on=

their IO-360, 180hp engine.  My current prop is a 56" pitch, and runs um,=

ah, well really close to redline (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) even in cruis=
at 1/2 throttle.  I don't want to lose the performance of the finer pitch=
,
but the aluminum prop has that darned harmonic vibration problem, and I
would like the prop to stay attached to the engine.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Stuart,
TerryAir Inc.
Pitts S1S C-GOVA