ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:426] Re: Pitts',pumps,props

From: Guido Lepore <glepore at direct.ca>

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:29:04 UTC

Message:

>Next, how about some good models of automotive style pumps for smoke that=
>
>us homebuilt guys can use?
>
>Lastly, my S1S currently has an aluminum Sensenich propeller on it.  I've=
>
>got many hours of polishing into it, but I'm afraid of screwing my engine=
>=2E =
>
>I would appreciate reports from anyone running wood or composite props on=
>
>their IO-360, 180hp engine.  My current prop is a 56" pitch, and runs um,=
>
>ah, well really close to redline (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) even in cruis=
>at 1/2 throttle.  I don't want to lose the performance of the finer pitch=
>,
>but the aluminum prop has that darned harmonic vibration problem, and I
>would like the prop to stay attached to the engine.

Mine runs an aluminum Sensenich 76/60 in front of a O-360 180hp.  Full
throttle level flight gives 3050 rpm and 192 mph indicated.  Lots of
performance for unlimited.  Cruise at 2600 rpm is about 150 mph.

Chopped a runway light lens and aluminum casting in half with it a while
ago (the proverbial "dance through the lights").   Filed the edge smooth
and flew it home.  Try that with a wood/composite.   Seriously though, up
here we fly a lot of rain and the aluminum seems happy with that.  Most
wood/composite guys just park'em till it stops raining.

Someone just posted a pump supplier if you want to review the archives.
I'm trying a Carter HP4601 (15 psi, vaned, draws about 5 amps) that runs
about a hundred bucks new.  I'll let you know how it works tomorrow night.

Guido