ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:662] Re: Stainless Steel Fuel Tank Stra

From: ultimate at spindle.net (ultimate@spindle.net)

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 14:21:34 UTC

Message:

 Joseph F. Rosenberger wrote:

> Geez, Now you guys got me wondering.
> I'm rebuilding an S1-S that was originally constructed in '73.  The straps are
> made of galvanized, and they appear to be in perfect condition.  I even have a
> roll of the woven insulating tape, a sort of cotton appearing stuff, for the
> liner.  Am I going to be taking my life in my hands every time I go flying?
> Joe Rosenberger

Sorry.

I should have clarified that you shouldn't use galvanized steel if
welding was necessary.  The zinc coating contaminates the puddle and
makes the weld brittle.  Or at least I was told that though I'm
certainly no metallurgist.  I know that welding galvanized steel is
messy and the weld puddle sputters and spits.  I wouldn't trust
galvanized straps if they were welded.

The S-1's I've seen had bushing welded to or through the upper
longerons.  The straps went around the tank and were bent and drilled to
accept a bolt through the bushing.  No welding and I bet the galvanized
would only last 50 years instead of a 100....

Daryle Grounds