ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:752] Re: Fon du Lac and U.S. Aerobatic ...

From: PWKNIGHT at aol.com

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 06:04:22 UTC

Message:

 Dear Drew and Fellow IAC Members;
I have seldom replied to comments on the web but like all others I will
comment at times. The U.S. Aerobatic Foundation is NOT responsible for
picking the teams that represent the US in world competiton ! The current
selection process is a product of the IAC Board  and was agreed upon by USAF
after much review. If you have concerns as to how the team selection  is done
I strongly suggest that you focus your comments to the IAC board. USAF has
the option to partition the IAC board if for some very unusual reason  a
competitor could not participate in the current selection process. I would
like to say that I find it very unlikely that the current USAF board would
exercise this option. I think that the current process , although very
demanding on the pilots both in time and money, is a good process in that it
allows for the selection to be based upon 8 possible flights of which 4 are
unknowns . Under the new world contest structure only the free  and unknowns
count toward overall results. The mission of USAF is still to fund and train
the teams that are selected and presented to us by the IAC selection process.
We on the USAF board are spending many hours of our time trying to develop
the foundation into a viable fund raising organization so that we can take a
more active role in the financial sponsorship  of those pilots who have made
major sacrifices in both time and money to obtain a position on one of the 3
teams that we currently sponsor. We are always open to new ideas and of
course any help that we can get. Thankyou for your time and interest in this
area , I hope I have been able to explain the procees a little.
Phil Knight  President, United States Aerobatic Foundation