ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] alternate sequences

Message: Re: [IAC] alternate sequences

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:51:37 UTC

Message:

  Matt Chapman wrote:

> So, what do you guy's and girls think about the alternate sequences?

Personally, I hated to see the whole "alternate/low" sequence thing come
about.  The problem clearly needed addressing, as far too many contests
were spent looking up at flyable weather with various members of the jury
and competitor factions loitering about campaigning to fly/not-fly
(perhaps depending upon their score positions at the time).

Introducing the alternate sequence thing, IMHO, introduces merely another
decision track that our juries/CD's will be hesitant to make.  Worse,
most competitors will simply be facing another unknown if the alternate
is called.  Not that I mind unknowns, obviously, but this was not the
original intent I assume.

Far better to have simply predetermined the break points and/or sequence
shortening points from the existing knowns.  The idea of establishing
pre-set altitude heights for decision making is excellent (my previous
posts on this point usually drawing substantial hate-mail).  If we had
simply figured out a way to modify and use existing knowns, I believe
there would be less confusion, a quicker path to decision making, and
better utilization of limited practice time.

But was this what you were asking?

Don Peterson
Midlothian, Tx.