ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:976] Re: Atlantis by Aircraft Technolog ...

From: carnes <harley at ccimedia.com>

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 07:32:14 UTC

Message:

 jcowgar at juno.com wrote:

> Has anyone looked into the Atlantis by Aircraft Technologies, Inc? They
> are the manufacturers of the Acro 1 and also produce an airplane called
> the Atlantis that is sopose to be a fully competitive aircraft all the
> way through Advanced. They say it's capable of every maneuver in the book
> with two people. It's side-by-side seating and arranged like a
> cross-country aircraft, but designed first as an aerobatic aircraft, then
> a cross country aircraft.
>
> I would be interested in hearing anything at all about the aircraft. It
> could be the one I am looking for, or maybe I should just build a two
> place simple cheap aircraft like the Christavia Mk 1, and a One Design?
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> Jeremy Cowgar - KB8LFA
> jcowgar at juno.com

Hi Jeremy,
   I flew the Atlantis for a flight evaluation published in Atlantic
Flyer.  It's a heck of a plane.
   It rolls faster than my Pitts S2A, has visibility very similar to an
RV-6, because of the bubble canopy, and with 200 hp goes very nicely
indeed.  In cross country guise, it'll cruise near 200 miles per hour,
but the real deal is the wing.
    The wing is stressed for 20 Gs, and similar to other high
performance monoplane wings, the air reattaches virtually
instantaneously out of a stalled condition.  Power on stall, for
example, resulted in something like 50 deg. nose up, and when the break
came - the slightest forward stick had it flying again.  The nose never
came near reaching the horizon....quite impressive.  By the way, they
say the airplane is stressed for 15 Gs, because the fuselage (made of
steel tube and fabric is designed for that strength.  Fred Meyer wants
something to bend, BEFORE anything could happen to the wing.  It's a
safety measure ... described as over-engineering against any possibility
of a wing failure.  Besides, most of us won't see 15 Gs any time soon.
   I managed to screw up a hammerhead in it, pushed a bit too much at
the top, and was in the process of finding out what an inverted spin was
going to look like - when mid-way through the first half turn, I
unloaded just a hair - and flew it out of the insipient spin in
knife-edge.  Wotta wing.  It was kind to even a ham-fist like mine.
    It was easy to land, tracked straight on the ground and visibility
was a real treat (for a guy who's not accustomed to seeing anything out
front).
    Joe Tate is the Pres. of the company.  Fred Meyer is the designer
and chief pilot.  He loves to tumble....probably 'cause the Atlantis
seems to enjoy it, too.
    They have a video of the plane being put through its paces by Fred.
3 and a half vertical rolls.  All the advanced maneuvers, no problemo.
    Think of it as a great all-around plane, like an RV-6 on steroids,
and you'll have an idea what it's like.

     I haven't flown it, but I understand the Acro 1 is a neat little
plane, too.

Good luck,

Harley Carnes
Chapter 52