ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC-L:988] Re: One Class/One Design or Not?

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:46:27 UTC

Message:

 Jeremy,
I'll throw in my two cents worth re. the One-Design and the one-design
concept. It doesn't seem to me that the one-design concept should greatly
influence the major decision to be made regarding the tremendous investment
in time and money in building your ideal aerobatic airplane. Here's why:
1. The One-Design looks like a really neat airplane, and from what I've seen,
flies and presents well. It has limitations similar to those of my Pitts S-1,
however, in that it's single seat, relatively small, relatively short range.
2. The one-design concept is an attempt to fix what ain't broke. It sure
looks to me like the pilot who flies best usually wins, so as long as the
airplane you're flying is capable of competing in your chosen category, it's
you, the pilot, who will be scoring the points (or the zero's!).
3. The single-seat Pitts is about as one-design as they come, despite
variations in wing, engine, etc. There are enough of them in existence that
they'll dominate our contests, numbers-wise, for a long time.
4. It will be a long time before there are sufficient numbers of One-Design's
to form a category of their own, and if and when that does happen, it may
greatly increase the workload on contest organizers.
        I don't want to sound like a nay-sayer regarding the one-design
concept, and certainly not regarding the airplane. I'm just not sure that the
concept is needed. If I were starting from scratch right now, I'd evaluate
the available designs based upon all of my perceived needs. The One-Design
would rate highly, but not because of the one-design concept.
Doug Sowder